Introduction

Hi, there. Thanks for visiting. I'm starting this blog as an advocate for mental and physical health. I'm a freelance writer and also own a home based medical transcription business. I was diagnosed in 1978 with paranoid schizophrenia and started to become acutely ill three years prior to that, unmedicated, frightened, confused, and in trouble with the law. I graduated from university with distinction the year I became ill. I've never regretted learning how to think at university. I struggled with my illness for 35 years and have reached the top of the mountain now, I think, or the other side, where the grass is greener and the path easier. There's hope for all of us, the whole human race, and never think there isn't hope or joy no matter your circumstances. I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences with mental illness in all its forms: depression, brain injury, autism, schizophrenia, bipolar, anxiety disorders, etc. and your positive experiences as well as those lies and half truths society and even therapists would have us believe about ourselves.

We are different folks, and we are beautiful. The whole human race is beautiful. Let's celebrate life.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Superman and Batman

Who are my heroes and heroines? I just read a very brief passage on a new book by Deepak Choprah and he's talking about heroes in uniform such as Superman and Batman (mythical heroes of course) and such as Buddha, Jesus, Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr. and those who are similar in outlook, I presume fighting the powers of darkness. I have a different outlook on the powers of darkness, thinking they're necessary for the existence of light and God, and the Devil is but another face of the same coin of God and was formed by God in the beginning, although I think evil probably existed as a counterpoint to good forever. Quantum physics says that the universe may be forever expanding and contracting from an original Big Bang, in which case there would be no original Big Bang, just an eternal contraction and expansion. They say there may be no such thing as time, it might be tied to mass and matter. I think Einstein said that, too, in his way. Too bad Einstein isn't alive today, he'd have a wonderful time of it, pun intended.

Deepak Choprah suggests we think about who our heroes and heroines are and map out a plan of interacting with the world that falls into place, I presume, with the superheroes of our imaginations. I might think on that and think who my heroes are. Odd,  because I own a Batman and a Superman tee-shirt and like the movies and the concept. When I was growing up I liked Steve Reeves in the Hercules movies, always liked heroes who would overthrow the challenges put in their way and make good out of bad. Like God does, he makes good out of bad, and our heroes may exemplify in some way our concept of God. Although we can never fully grasp the concept of God, it's beyond us, I think, unless of course we've invented it to suit ourselves.

I've just been through a very bad depression that lasted only for a couple of weeks but seemed interminable. A hint--a friend suggested it may be the result of lack of light lately as we haven't had many sunny days at all during the winter, spring, and now summer is rainy and grey. I suffer from SAD in the winter and had a SAD light, 5000 lux, seems enough. I took it out today and sat by it for a couple of hours. Seemed to really make a difference. Looking for psychological reasons for depression or paranoia sometimes isn't enough. It could be something as simple as lack of light or a chemical imbalance.



I'll try to be a superhero in my life but am imperfect and hope I'm loved even though I'm not perfect. I saw a magazine heading today that said "I don't have to be perfect to be loved" and that's something we who were raised with conditional love have to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment