Introduction

Hi, there. Thanks for visiting. I'm starting this blog as an advocate for mental and physical health. I'm a freelance writer and also own a home based medical transcription business. I was diagnosed in 1978 with paranoid schizophrenia and started to become acutely ill three years prior to that, unmedicated, frightened, confused, and in trouble with the law. I graduated from university with distinction the year I became ill. I've never regretted learning how to think at university. I struggled with my illness for 35 years and have reached the top of the mountain now, I think, or the other side, where the grass is greener and the path easier. There's hope for all of us, the whole human race, and never think there isn't hope or joy no matter your circumstances. I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences with mental illness in all its forms: depression, brain injury, autism, schizophrenia, bipolar, anxiety disorders, etc. and your positive experiences as well as those lies and half truths society and even therapists would have us believe about ourselves.

We are different folks, and we are beautiful. The whole human race is beautiful. Let's celebrate life.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Treatment is a Yellow Rose

My psych basically just keeps an eye on me. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get some ongoing treatment. I'm very happy with how my life is progressing, though. I'm running through some fields of asphodel with new sandals.

My father always loved the color yellow and yellow roses in particular. I've read that they mean jealousy and that "don't trust a yellow rose". I'd never heard that before and used it myself to mean friendship or love. I hope it wasn't misunderstood. Perhaps pink would be better, which apparently means friendship or appreciation. I do appreciate all that has been done for me.

I have an idea from someone else's blog. I'm going to start taking photographs and posting them with little vignettes about them underneath. This blog started out as a means to promote mental health but there doesn't seem to be a lot of response. Perhaps I should do something different as well as promoting mental health. Well, beautiful images promote mental health. Are there any others out there who want to make beautiful photographs and post them? I must learn how and would appreciate more tips. HP offers courses on-line and I downloaded some digital photography tips, including something I didn't know that the "landscape" setting on my camera means the background and foreground are given equal emphasis, and the "portrait" means the background is muted. Also, in this blog I'm speaking of the photographer suggests taking a picture of the same object day after day, in different lights and from different angles, to learn something of the art. And I suppose it's a science, too. I've included a link under the blogs I follow.

Back to treatment, I must arrange to treat myself as who knows me better than myself? Well, many others, perhaps. I read that somewhere. Others often know one better. This rose I have, this real rose, this tall and grey bearded rose, may be a yellow rose, but he is handsome and I will dally awhile in his garden.

The treatment reminds me of a garden from which I may pluck what pleases me and what is best for me, also it is compulsory but I was looking for guidance. And that's very true. I was asking in my way for help and I was aware I needed guidance. I don't think I'll take photographs of flowers. I'll take photographs of dry twigs against a blue sky. Of snow melting into brown earth. Spring in Edmonton.

I'm home.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kenna -- I thought I'd left a message before but guess it didn't work. Of course you can visit my blog -- I'm happy to see you. I hope you're happy and doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up a florist site to confirm that the yellow/jealousy connection is old European. In the Middle East, where yellow roses were discover, yellow is the colour of life and wisdom. Yellow for jealously is passe. Now:
    "The bright, sunny color of yellow roses evokes a feeling of warmth and happiness. The warm feelings associated with the yellow rose are often akin to those shared with a true friend. As such, the yellow rose is an ideal symbol for joy and friendship."
    May your life be filled with yellow roses.

    ReplyDelete