Introduction

Hi, there. Thanks for visiting. I'm starting this blog as an advocate for mental and physical health. I'm a freelance writer and also own a home based medical transcription business. I was diagnosed in 1978 with paranoid schizophrenia and started to become acutely ill three years prior to that, unmedicated, frightened, confused, and in trouble with the law. I graduated from university with distinction the year I became ill. I've never regretted learning how to think at university. I struggled with my illness for 35 years and have reached the top of the mountain now, I think, or the other side, where the grass is greener and the path easier. There's hope for all of us, the whole human race, and never think there isn't hope or joy no matter your circumstances. I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences with mental illness in all its forms: depression, brain injury, autism, schizophrenia, bipolar, anxiety disorders, etc. and your positive experiences as well as those lies and half truths society and even therapists would have us believe about ourselves.

We are different folks, and we are beautiful. The whole human race is beautiful. Let's celebrate life.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Poem - the Metal Foot

I once wrote a poem about a woman with a piece of twisted metal in her leg. She was trying to walk but could only hobble "to the burning rim of time." In the meantime, she watched others "past the breakers" and they "seemed to ride the wind" while she could only watch, immobilized and crippled. That was how I felt when this illness began in the mid 1970s, that long ago, and just now I redid that old haunting tragic poem:

The Metal Foot
by Kenna
September 7, 2010
revised October 4, 2010

The wire was twisted metal
But my leg has healed its sore
Like a boot of steel and plaster
Till my feet can touch the floor.

And the wind is running with me
While the scent of flowers play
With my friends who ride the breakers
With our faces bright with spray.

For this best of running coolness
And this newness angels put
I am flying I am singing
Through the metal cloven foot.

For my face is bright and yearning
And my legs are strong and brown
I soar PAST ephemeral lovers,
High where the surf has blown.

The wire was twisted metal
But my leg has healed again
I climb barefoot on a moonbeam
Where my sisters also ran.

All those friends and lovers
Those women, men and boys
Are singing like the angels
With one mighty sounding voice.

And the wind is running with me
Through reverberating halls
Shouting where the wire has twisted
From my leg and crippled falls.

It was the wire that threw me
That hated turning steel
No more its pain constrains me
Crushed helpless on my heel.

For my face is bright and yearning
Like a flower turned above
I soar past my ghostly lovers
To the patient arms of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment