Introduction

Hi, there. Thanks for visiting. I'm starting this blog as an advocate for mental and physical health. I'm a freelance writer and also own a home based medical transcription business. I was diagnosed in 1978 with paranoid schizophrenia and started to become acutely ill three years prior to that, unmedicated, frightened, confused, and in trouble with the law. I graduated from university with distinction the year I became ill. I've never regretted learning how to think at university. I struggled with my illness for 35 years and have reached the top of the mountain now, I think, or the other side, where the grass is greener and the path easier. There's hope for all of us, the whole human race, and never think there isn't hope or joy no matter your circumstances. I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences with mental illness in all its forms: depression, brain injury, autism, schizophrenia, bipolar, anxiety disorders, etc. and your positive experiences as well as those lies and half truths society and even therapists would have us believe about ourselves.

We are different folks, and we are beautiful. The whole human race is beautiful. Let's celebrate life.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Age Gap

Bob's Journal said in response to "Lewis Carrol" - "But the truth is there. The age gap remains. We used to be that way, at least I know I was, and now I see it in younger souls, and you can't give them all the answers, but maybe give the young the right questions that they can figure them out, so they too can become fat, old and flabby jawed."
Well, it was one of the younger generation who said I want a relationship they don't want (one of my family). I guess I succeeded in raising independent, intelligent children who give back to society. I've said that before but must say it until I believe it. I may be fat, old and flabby jawed in their eyes, but perhaps not, Bob. I wasn't friends with my parents. They were my parents. Now the trend seems to be pals with your kids. Is that healthy? I don't know but I'm not pals with my kids. I'm their mom.

However, the lesson remains. The age gap is there, as you said.

"Be off or I'll kick you downstairs..." Very well said, Father William.

You know, this poem was written in response to Robert Southey's pontifications, to deflate his pomposity. I sometimes do the same but people don't like it, do they?

I'm wondering if I should care. Or if I should simply balance an eel on the end of my nose and kick the naysayers in their rump.

It's true, I feel more at ease with people of my own generation.

1 comment:

  1. Come to think of it, my mother and I were very good friends -- after I was about 45-50 years old. Guess I had to be HER age to understand and accept her. She ALWAYS understood and accepted me. Cuz she was my MOM, ya know?

    ReplyDelete