Introduction

Hi, there. Thanks for visiting. I'm starting this blog as an advocate for mental and physical health. I'm a freelance writer and also own a home based medical transcription business. I was diagnosed in 1978 with paranoid schizophrenia and started to become acutely ill three years prior to that, unmedicated, frightened, confused, and in trouble with the law. I graduated from university with distinction the year I became ill. I've never regretted learning how to think at university. I struggled with my illness for 35 years and have reached the top of the mountain now, I think, or the other side, where the grass is greener and the path easier. There's hope for all of us, the whole human race, and never think there isn't hope or joy no matter your circumstances. I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences with mental illness in all its forms: depression, brain injury, autism, schizophrenia, bipolar, anxiety disorders, etc. and your positive experiences as well as those lies and half truths society and even therapists would have us believe about ourselves.

We are different folks, and we are beautiful. The whole human race is beautiful. Let's celebrate life.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Who is Austin Mardon?

This week I met the recipient of the Alberta Medical Association's Medal of Honour for this year. I had the privilege of writing an article about the event for him. We had coffee at Starbucks on Tuesday morning. His name is Austin Mardon, PhD and he was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1992 at the age of 30. He received the award for his advocacy on behalf of those with schizophrenia. A link to his website is now on my blog. Check it out. He's received numerous awards including the Order of Canada.

It may be the beginning of an interesting acquaintance. I was hoping to meet a community of like minded people through this blog. He said give it time.

He is a writer, explorer and researcher. A friend of mine had seen some of his articles and I got in touch with him with the assistance of the Schizophrenia Society here in Edmonton.

I don't know where my efforts will lead me but this could be interesting. I'm thinking of redoing some of my articles with a focus on general interest as Austin suggested and submitting them to a community newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment